Sunday 29 September 2024

Remembering my mother

Today is the 50th anniversary of the death of my mother, Norma Mabel (Miller) Shepheard (1917-1974). It has been a long time, but she is still part of our fondest memories. She died way to young but in her short time on Earth she had a major impact on all those around her, especially her children.

Curiously I read something in the comic pages this past week (Pearls Before Swine, 26 September 2024) that so clearly describes how we might feel about losing someone close. Sometimes you find perception in the strangest places:

A main character asked a local seer: “Oh, Wise Ass, when a magician makes himself disappear, is he really gone?”

The seer replied, “No, he’s just somewhere else that you can’t see.”


The character then commented, “So it’s sort of like when someone you love dies. It might look like they’re gone but really, they’re just somewhere else, like in your heart. And that’s its own form of magic.”

The seer’s comment, “Sometimes there’s nothing I can add.”


I can add nothing either. She’ll forever be in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment