Thursday 13 February 2020

Colourized Photos


MyHeritage has a new service. As they describe it, “MyHeritage In Color™ is an exciting new feature that lets you colorize your black and white photos automatically. The results are mind-blowing and are sure to impress your family and friends.

Like probably most members of the website I tried my hand at colourizing some old photos this week. The results truly are “mind-blowing.”

I started with old wedding photos of my direct ancestors. Here they are, along with the originals.
 
1890 James Shepheard & Mary Elizabeth Pearson wedding photo
1914 James Pearson Shepheard & Carrie Jane Thompson wedding photo
1939 William Calvin Shepheard & Norma Mabel Miller wedding photo
I also tried the photo that is the background of this blogsite. You can see the original in the right side margin. It is not quite as good as the others, but I think that is due to the original probably not being the best in terms of contrast.
1886 Miller-Watson Family
The process works pretty well on snapshots as well as studio portraits. Here is one taken of my wife and me - a few years ago.
 
1969 Linda & Wayne
This is a really neat idea! One could spend days going through their library and seeing how the people looked like if they had had colour photography. I am sure I won’t be able to resist doing many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment