Tuesday 10 May 2016

A Special Mother’s Day Memory

In their search for so many past generations, what genealogist does not find Mother’s Day or Father’s Day just a bit more special? It kind of goes without saying that we would not be around to look for those ancestors if it had not been for the fact that we had those mothers and fathers.

And no matter how many brothers and sisters we might have, we always come back to thinking that our relationship with our parents was the most important one. To us it was, of course!

If you are very lucky you remember one particular incident or have one unique photo of you and your mother. It reminds you of that unique relationship more than any other and, in many ways, defines you as a person as well. It says you were loved and cared for and that your mother was very happy to have you around. You knew, or would come to learn anyway, that you could do anything you wanted because you had the support and protection of your mother.

This is my favourite photo of my mother and me. It was taken when I was about two years old. I do remember it being taken by my father but not where. There is another picture taken at the same time with Mom holding me and standing next to my paternal grandmother, so it might have been on Vancouver Island.


In the photo it is a beautiful, warm summer day and I’m happy because I am with my mom and my dad is there as well behind the camera. We are not touching in the picture but we are still as close as a mother and son can be.

We missed a lot of Mother’s Days after she was gone – too soon. But we treasure the time we had with her. Happy Mother’s Day


Wayne Shepheard is a volunteer with the Online Parish Clerk program in England, handling four parishes in Devon, England. He has published a number of articles about various aspects of genealogy and is the Editor of Relatively Speaking, the quarterly journal of the Alberta Genealogical Society. Wayne also provides genealogical consulting services through his business, Family History Facilitated.

No comments:

Post a Comment